Sunday, January 20, 2013

Hangin' with Ben, Chris, Rob, Vance and Faith

My next synchronous event was a Google Hangout - I am finally getting the (OUCH) hang of it - on ePortfolios.  I felt I needed to jump in since we are going to make or tweak one for the MultiMOOC session and I know so little about them.  See my earlier post, Orienting Myself.  I ended up sharing some thoughts regardless and also got some new ideas about the what/how/where/why etc. of ePortfolios.  There was an excellent - very brief - PowerPoint - with some basics. We navigated that to guide our discussion.
One take-away for me was the notion of inserting a video into the ePortfolio.  I realized that my linguistics students end the semester with a video presentation (in Adobe Connect with webcam and share pods) that they upload to our Blackboard site.  I could let them know they can add the link to it to their ePortfolio as an artifact.  This is an example of how attending an event and being asked a question - have any of you used video in an ePortfolio - can spark a connection that would seem obvious.
I also learned much more about Hangouts, the ins and (ouch, again) outs of them.  I now know how to control them - my audio/webcam/attendance (to leave you hang up the phone, icon upper right).  I hadn't realized that everyone in the hangout is an active participant by definition.  I get that now.
All in all a fruitful first day for synchronous events in the MultiMOOC group.  Thanks to Vance for arranging the Cormier one and for sharing the Hangout link in Elluminate.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your reflections. I see an 'eportfolio' on the scale of a 5 week MultiMOOC session as being a link to posts you've made in the session and artifacts you've put online for the course. It can be simply a page with those links or it could be something like this blog. You could dress it up with some tabs referring to other aspects of your professional or reflective life online.

    In your ePortfolio you could put a link to the Hangout Recording and to this reflection of course (and right there's a video!). I think the important thing is to become aware of the technique and to give some thought to it as an assessment tool (starting with self-assessment) and just put one in place rather than worry too much about creating a masterpiece now. But one characteristic of ePortfolio is, it goes with you. It's yours, you can develop it later, maybe in a more appropriate space, if it has utility for you.

    ReplyDelete